Monday, July 14, 2014

Training!

So guess what I got in the mail this week?!  A big white envelope.  Sister Gunderson pulls it out and says, "It's for you Sister Harston, You're training!!"  AH! Transfers are in a week and a half and I'll be training a brand new sister missionary.  that was humbling!  But it's a blessing as well because it'll help me to focus on the basics and start doing some of the things I have forgotten.  Nervous excitement!  Because our mission office is at our church building, I asked President Bell if he could tell me who my companion will be, thinking he would make me wait to find out, but he goes back to his office, grabs her picture and says, she'll be Sister Seymour from Oregon.  Sweet!  this means that Sister Gunderson will probably be transferred but I really hope she stays in the same zone! Don't want to have to say goodbye to her yet :) But she'll also be at BYU, so I'll for sure see her then if not elsewhere in Kansas. 

also, I don't remember if I told you, but sister Gunderson and I wrote a song (it was mostly her because she figured out the chords and tune on her ukelele and I helped add a few words) but it's called Feed My Sheep and is a part of our mission CD because there are crazy talented missionaries out here who can rap up the wazoo and are just awesome. I'll have to see if I can share some of it with you because we'll get the CD tomorrow.  

Thank you for the wonderful birthday package!!!! Funny thing, the Daley's had their mail on hold while they were gone so I got it on Tuesday, but I'm sure someone will have a birthday soon that we can use all of it for :D  Where in the world did you find the pig-tail headband?!  So funny!!!  (I'll send pictures next week but I forgot to bring my camera to the library. I'm just sending what Sister Gunderson had on her's) Just had a normal pday of playing tons of different sports (I warn them about my soccer skills but they let me play anyways hahaha) but it was really fun :)  Griz and Lynda Racobs took us out to Olive Garden and then Freddie's for ice cream after, on Tuesday as a birthday gift.  The most loving people ever!  Griz pretends to be rough, but he's a pretty big teddy bear most of the time, and Lynda had incredible patience and love for everyone. I don't remember if I mentioned it, but Griz is getting baptized on August 19th because that's the 231st day of the year and that's his favorite #.  He's been on date for a few months now. so goofy, but it's finally getting close. :)
Thanks Nichole! I have to agree all your kids are cute, no one could argue with that!  Makes me so happy to see their little faces! And I hardly recognize Ryden he is SO BIG! That's cool that Br Humphries saw that correllation between missionary work and the craziness in the world that's like Alma 31:5! "And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just - yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else"  That's something I've been thinking about this week too!!! That God really can see the whole picture.  He knows how the pieces fit together because He can see eternity.  I'm glad He's the One who's really in charge :)

Glad you're home safe Mom and Dad!  Sounds like it was a stressful trip, and just like that you'll be off again! haha  Sounds like oodles of fun! I'm sure you'll take lots of pictures and send them to me :) And since the church is the same everywhere, we had a lesson on the Holy Ghost in Relief Society too!!! go figure. haha  Sister Gerber was always so good at bringing in different perspectives and a powerful spirit into lessons.  We can feel as good as we do at church all the time when we let the Spirit be our constant companion.  It's crazy to think of the potential in that relationship and that we can so easily forget what's most important. Sister Roberts was our teacher on Sunday and talked about how we need to be companions to the Holy Ghost, rather than the other way around, implying we have our part to do rather than expecting Him to do all the work, just like you said.  Mind enlightened!!! Also, I agree Dad that those people are definitely true disciples of Christ.  Who doesn't like to get a kind note of encouragement and love?!  Something we talked to a less-active lady about this week is that whenever you hear someone get a priesthood blessing, God tells them He loves them.  He'll tell us every opportunity He gets!! So we should do the same.  Did I mention I love you both?! 
ADAM!!!! you wrote me?!! hahah so good to hear from my big bro :D thanks for the postcard too! Sounds like Disneyland was a real hit!  Who knew Liam would still love shooting stuff a year later (since I last saw him) haha Good luck on the exam! I'll be praying for you. Yay for more family time in the near near future! It's definitely a comfort to know that the Lord will make sure things are taken care of.  He prunes, digs about, and nourishes each tree, and I definitely know He's working miracles :) 

Lashawn is so in tune.  We taught her the plan of Salvation this week and she agreed we lived before this as spirits, and when we talked about Adam and Eve and why the Fall needed to happen and how it was a part of God's plan she said she'd never thought about it that way before, but that it makes total sense.  It really does!!  She's been struggling with her health the last week though because of her diabetes, so she didn't come to church on Sunday, but we're praying for her to make it next Sunday. She wants to go super bad.  Jamesia said she would come next sunday too, but it's been difficult to set up appointments with her since she's working, and has a kid, and is in nursing school on top of all that, but soon we will!!!  
We went over and took out a bunch of bushes and cleaned off Janice's deck with the Elders on Friday.  We got there early to read out of the Book of Mormon with her, because Dyslexia keeps her from being able to read it on her own.  Priesthood power is still hard for her to grasp, but she listened as we read and participated in the discussion, so that was really good :)  We'll be going back this week to help her clean up a few more things too.

And CATHY came to church for the first time!!!!  We got to introduce her to Sister Graff (who we though could be good friends with her, and they don't live too far away from each other). We also found out her true concern about what's holding her back from accepting a baptismal date.  We are so glad for the spirit in helping her to trust us, because we love her so much and it's been killing us knowing that there was something else going on that she wouldn't tell us about, but now we know and can help her move forward :)  We asked her, and she said she knows what we have taught is true.  That was SO good to hear.  

Taliyah also came to church!! We found her a few weeks ago.  She's a 17 year old young woman and Sister Rawson gave her a ride, because her parents said she should go and see how it was before they went.  Goofy, but Taliyah seriously looked like she belonged when she walked in.  She was dressed so cute and modestly, and when I asked her how her day was going as she sat down on the pew next to me, she said,"it's better now"  SO AWESOME!!  She was nervous of course since everything is so different and so new, but it seemed like she really enjoyed young womens and might be going to mutual on Wednesday.  We couldn't have helped her without the members!!!!  They are so key!  If someone doesn't feel God's love through them, they won't come back. When they feel comfortable, the Spirit can reach them the best :) 

Also, Derrick and Kim set a baptismal date for August 30th!  (they still need to get married and follow the word of wisdom) but after they got priesthood blessings yesterday Derrick said, "I feel like my mind is clearer) yup that's the spirit! I think he was a little surprised that he felt different.  SO COOL!  It was cool to explain that when baptism is done by that same power too :)

Well your eyes are probably about ready to fall out after reading all that but here's more! haha  I love you and I love the Lord :)  I've been working on humility this week. In Preach my gospel it says, "Humility is willingness to submit to the will of the Lord and to give the Lord the honor for what is accomplished. It includes gratitude for His blessings and acknowledgment of your constant need for His divine help. Humility is not a sign of weakness; it is a sign of spiritual strength. When you humbly trust Him and acknowledge His power and mercy, you can have the assurance that His commandments are for your good.You are confident that you can do whatever the Lord requires of you if you rely on Him."  e I didn't know how to say it better than that, but the Spirit can only speak to us if we are humble and full of faith, having a determination to do the will of the Lord and to trust His divine guidance, and to trust that He really does know better than we do because He can see the whole picture.


Sister Gunderson made sure everyone knew it was my b-day and sang to me.  She even made the oreo cheesecake to share!  She's the best :)


​So this is an awkward one of me, but everyone else's expressions are pretty good. haha

-- love always and forever!
Sister Harston

No comments:

Post a Comment